Monday, January 7, 2013

French Onion Soup

Ever since eating this soup at Mimi's Cafe with Maude, Gayle, and Scott, after Earl's graveside services, I've wanted to try to make some French Onion Soup at home. Krista & I found this Cooking Light recipe (here) and decided to give'r a try.

Didn't make our own stock, but used low sodium boxed stock.

We liked it pretty well, but it didn't live up to Mimi's.










Perhaps the best part of the tale, however, comes from Ken, as outlined in his e-mail to Andrew ...

One night last week Sally made onion soup, accompanied by a home-grown salad. It seemed like the perfect vegetarian treat, until Sally noticed that a high-protein part of her salad was crawling. Somehow, despite washing the lettuce, giving it a ride in the salad-spinner, and then dowsing it with dressing, a plump green caterpillar had stowed away on a leaf and escaped discovery, until the salad was half gone. I escorted our unwanted guest out the door, after which, needless to say, we all kept a pretty close eye on our plates as we finished gobbling the greenery.


non-vegetarian salad.jpg

Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment