I have been trying some new recipes for the new pressure cooker I got from Aunt Ruth. It has been very fun, and I'm beginning to think it is a great way to cook. Uses less energy, faster, and so far, everything has been delicious (with the minor exception of some too spicy ribs ... sorry Nathan!)
Didn't take a picture, but here is the recipe I used, with my adaptations in red. I suppose if you didn't have a pressure cooker, you could just cook it for longer on the stove.
Eggplant Caponata
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine (chicken stock or broth)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (Skipped - don't often like cinnamon in savory dishes)
1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, cored, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
3 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup oil-cured olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins (regular)
2 tablespoons capers (didn't have, but I think I'd like 'em)
1. In a 5-quart or larger pressure cooker, heat olive oil, white wine, red wine vinegar and cinnamon over medium high heat.
2. Add eggplant, onion, green and red bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, celery, olives, raisins and capers, stir until mixed.
3. Close lid and bring pressure to first red ring over high heat (or the pressure regulator rocks gently). Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at first red ring. Cook for 8 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and use Cold Water Release Method
Cold Water Release Method
If a quicker release of pressure is desired, the pan can be carried to the sink and cold water may be run over the lid (but not the valve). This method is mainly used for food with short cooking times where it is essential to stop the cooking process as fast as possible. For example risotto, polenta, or fresh vegetables. Do not use this method for food that foams (rice, beans, stocks)!
Makes 8 servings (hah! We polished it off!)
Approximate Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
165 calories / 2g protein / 19g carbohydrates / 10g fat 4g dietary fiber / 0mg cholesterol / 435mg sodium
With this caponata the possibilities are endless: fill crepes and top with cheese; fill mini pita-pocket bread and serve as an appetizer; use as a side dish; or serve over pasta. Equally good hot, room temperature or cold. When used as a filling, it is best to drain off or reduce the excess liquid.
I served this over penne pasta noodles, with grated parmesan cheese and fresh oregano sprinkled on top. Ken and I LOVED it. 5 stars for sure. Jacob probably rated it about 3 ... think he's averse to eggplant ... maybe too much like mushrooms?
This looks delicious! I am guessing it could be adapted for regular cooking, or even the slow cooker pretty easily! Anything with those ingredients has to be fabulous! Hugs, GG
ReplyDelete