Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Poblano-Jalapeño Chili

Thanks again everyone for including me in this! I am a huge chili fan and I love poblano peppers and jalapeños, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make one of the cover recipes - Poblano-Jalapeño Chili (p.114). My roommate just got a Dutch Oven that we have been waiting to use, so this recipe was even more perfect!



I made the following changes:
- 4 seeded jalapeño peppers instead of 2
- 3 cups seeded poblanos instead of 1 cup
- 10 cloves of garlic instead of 8
- 4 cups chopped onion instead of 3 cups (it as 1 extra large onion)
- substituted 2% Fage Greek Yogurt for sour cream (tastes exactly the same and it is much better for you, especially if you get 2% rather than 0% - a little bit of fat helps the calcium to absorb properly)

There was a lot of chopping, and a few tears from the onion, but other than was very simple to prepare. Overall, this is a solid chili recipe, and I will definitely make it again. Next time, I am going to add more spices (it was a little bland for my palate), double the jalapeño (virtually no spice even after upping the recipe amount from 2 to 4), and keep the higher amounts of poblanos and onions that I listed above (maybe even adding more). Also, as a near vegetarian, this was a little meaty for me. Next time I would use about half the meat and double the beans, or substitute the beef for turkey, which would be much healthier.



I will definitely make this again and would serve it to guests. I am a tough food critic, and I would rate it 3 or 3.5 stars, and it will probably be a 3.5 or 4 the second time around when I make a few changes.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to add that the recipe calls for a bottle of Mexican beer - GG, I added a Pacifico and really liked the flavor it added to the veggies. Would be very easy to leave out for those who do not drink or who will be serving to those who do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want the spice, you could stop seeding the peppers, too. The seeds and pith are where most of the heat comes from.

    Also, I got myself a mandolin slicer (and a kevlar glove for when I use it) and it's a big help when I have a whole bunch to slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey RG! Welcome to the blog! Fun to hear from you! And looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete