Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sweet Potato Chile Mac and Grilled Salad

It's spring break here, and I feel like cooking! But I don't feel like remembering about taking pictures until after I've already taken couple bites, so bear with the lack of pictures today.


Sweet Potato Chile Mac was good, but not what I was expecting. Dave's comments was "Wow, there are a lot of flavors in here," and I think he just about summed it up. It was sweet and savory and spicy all at once. It wasn't bad, but it didn't mesh as well as I thought it would, and it's still very busy-tasting a day later. Plus, I expected it to be a little cheesier for a variation on mac & cheese, but the little bit they called for got completely lost in there. I know it's the same color as Kraft's mac & cheese, but that's all sweet potato.

The only thing I changed was cooking it in a casserole dish, since I don't have an ovenproof skillet---and I'm surprised they got all that in a skillet! It was a lot of food. Anyway, it gets a 3. It's pretty easy and very different. I'd be happy to have it again, but I probably will be more excited to try new things.

Grilled Butter Lettuce with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing has been in my to-make file for a long time, now. Grilled lettuce seemed so intriguing, I couldn't let it go. In reality, though, it wasn't much different from a regular salad. There was a slight grilled flavor, though, and it looked pretty neat. Plus, it was a cinch to make, so maybe it's a fun company food that isn't too wild. I think it would work with other types of lettuce, this one was just small enough to be a good serving size all by itself, and compact enough it still looked nice. I subbed sour cream for crème fraîche again, and the dressing was good, but similar enough to ranch I wouldn't have known it was homemade if I hadn't made it myself. 4 stars for novelty and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment