Yum, yum, yum!
Jacob and I worked together to pull this delicious recipe off. Might have been a little more perfect had we read the recipe all the way through first :) ! But for the most part we did pretty well, especially since we were hurrying to get it ready to eat before Ken and I had to head out for Stake Conference.
We followed the recipe pretty closely, except:
- We used 5 slices of bacon, since you both thought it needed more. The bacon I had on hand was maple flavored, and we wondered if it would be okay. It Was REALLY GOOD!!
- We substituted nonfat plain yogurt for the creme fraiche. I forgot to add it to the broth mixture, however. So we thinned it with some extra broth and just poured it over everything once all ingredients were in the pan, and stirred it up gently. It didn't seem to be a problem. And think of all that fat we saved. Please pass the bacon!
- I couldn't bring myself to buy cheese costing $20 per pound. Substituted some hard parmesan (in a chunk that we grated with my favorite microplane). Don't know what Gruyere tastes like, but this suited us just fine.
Things we did right ...
- We did use the kale, and found it to be delicious. I didn't think I liked kale, but prepared thusly, it was mah-vel-ous.
- I also used Ken's Misto :) It works!
- I cut the butternut into 4 chunks, then peeled it with a carrot peeler. Worked faster than a knife.
Although quite labor intensive, I also think this recipe is a keeper, and would be a great dish to serve to company. Two thumbs up from the remaining Stockton clan.
![]() |
| Before the yogurt . . . whoops :-\ |
By the way, I can see Jacob and I are going to have to work on our presentation skills. You guys are amazing with your beautiful plates and excellent photography!

No comments:
Post a Comment