Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken Soup with Cabbage and Apple

Recipe: chicken-soup-cabbage-apple

Ha - hah! A new one!

Tried this soup, Jan/Feb 2012, page 118, pictured 113. We liked it, and wouldn't mind eating again, but I don't think it is one to fit into our regular rotation.

Grinding the seeds was a bit of a challenge since I don't have a coffee or spice grinder. I finally used my Magic Bullet, which did the job adequately. **One note on the seeds, and the spices in general ... Sprouts has a bulk section of spices, and I have found that when a recipe calls for something which I don't have, and don't expect I'll use a whole big bottle of it, I can buy a small amount there for almost nothing! I didn't have fennel seed, so I bought just about a teaspoon or two. It cost me 10 cents, which I think was basically the cost of the bag. This seems like a good way to go for rarely used spices. Now it won't sit in my cupboard and lose potency until the next time I need it several years from now! (Believe it or not, I have some spices in my cupboard that came from Grandma Gwen's house!! I should probably purge!)

I also bought the chicken apple sausage at Sprouts, but after making the recipe I think it must have been talking about pre-cooked sausage that will hold its shape. I bought the raw. When I tried to slice it, it just gooped out of the casing. I ended up frying it like you would ground beef. Tasted fine, but not as pretty.

I followed the rest of the recipe as written. I did not double it, surprise, surprise, and it made plenty for the 3 of us with some leftovers. I'm not sure their serving size is accurate.


The flavors were nice. I thought it seemed like something my mom would enjoy. Once again I really enjoyed having something a little different that what we are usually eating.

Rating: about 3.5 out of 5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment